Department of Open Space
Tree Hearing Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
A Tree Hearing was held on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm. Notice of this hearing was posted May 3, 2011.
Richard N. Rennard Jr.,Tree Warden presided
Present at the hearing were:
Ronald Malionek, City of Salem Assistant Director of Public Services
Paul Prevey, Ward 6 Councillor
Kathy Winn, City of Salem Planning Department
Matt Robbins, Consultant for TRC Solutions
Questions/Suggestions from Residents:
- Add 1 ½ feet of topsoil to cap the park
- Replace trees w/ Ornamental type trees
- Is the existing Riprap being disturbed?
- Why are piles being left onsite?
- Could smaller equipment or hand-digging be used to dig roots?
- Is there erosion due to tree removals?
- What is the time frame for completion of work?
- When is funding for the park going to run out?
Responses from Richard Rennard:
- Offering large trees with 4- 4 ½ “ caliber for replanting
- Form a Committee to select tree species and locations of planting
- Contractor is using smaller equipment for digging and piles will be removed from site
- Assurance that only necessary trees are removed; Salem is a Tree City
- Contamination issues hinder the addition of topsoil and endangers the health of live trees
Hearing concluded at 7:30 pm.