The City of Salem offers a number of services to address the community’s housing needs, including rehabilitating our current housing stock, developing new housing opportunities, assisting families to acquire housing and enabling struggling families to remain in their homes.
First Time Homebuyer Down Payment Assistance Loan Programs
Downpayment assistance is available for low- and moderate-income first-time homebuyers through the City of Salem's First-Time Homebuyer Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (FTHB). The FTHB Program requires matching funds and can be used for properties in the City of Salem only. Homebuyers must meet eligibility requirements.
- FTHB Program Guidelines (English)
- FTHB Program Guidelines (Spanish)
- Application (English)
- Application (Spanish)
- Application Checklist (English)
- Application Checklist (Spanish)
Housing Rehabilitation Loan Programs
Owner Occupied Loan Program
Housing rehabilitation assistance is available to low- and moderate-income homeowners for 1-4 unit homes.
- Program Guidelines for Owner-Occupied Properties (English)
- Program Guidelines for Owner-Occupied Properties (Spanish)
- Rehabilition Program Checklist (English)
Investor Owned (Landlord) Loan Program
Housing Rehab assistance is available to landlords with low- and moderate-income tenants in 1-7 unit properties.
- Program Guidelines for Investor-Owned Properties
- Program Guidelines for Investor-Owned Properties (Spanish)
- Loan Program Checklist
To start the process, please fill out and submit the Loan Program Pre-Qualification Form.
- Loan Program Pre-Qualification Form (English)
- Loan Program Pre-Qualification Form (Spanish)
- Loan Program Full Application
- Loan Program Full Application (Spanish)
If you intend to improve tenant units in your owner-occupied property, the following are also applicable:
- Tenant Checklist (English)
- Tenant Checklist (Spanish)
- Tenant Application (English)
- Tenant Application (Spanish)
Are you a contracting firm that is interested in bidding on any of our housing rehabilitation projects?
Please review the following information for contractors to see if your firm qualifies:
- Contractor Brochure (English)
- Contractor Brochure (Spanish)
- Contractor Application (English)
- Contractor Application (Spanish)
Get the Lead Out Loan Program
The City acts as a Local Rehabilitation Agency for MassHousing’s Get the Lead Out Program to undertake lead paint abatement in pre-1978 homes with a lead poisoned child aged 6 or under. Please contact DPCD if you are interested in further information.
Foreclosure Prevention, Predatory Lending and Legal Resources
Click here for a list of resources on foreclosure prevention, predatory lending and legal resources.
Fair Housing and Housing Discrimination
Click here for information on Fair Housing and what to do if you think you have been discriminated against.
In addition to the resources offered by the City, there are a number of other state, federal and private programs available to help you address your housing needs:
- Homebuyer Education
- Homebuyer Assistance
- Affordable Properties
- Housing Rehabilitation Assistance
- Lead Based Paint Hazard Abatement
- Refinancing Assistance
- Mass Access Housing Registry - a free online program that matches people with disabilities with accessible housing in the community.
MassSave Energy Savings Programs
Mass Save® is an initiative sponsored by Massachusetts’ gas and electric utilities and energy efficiency service providers. The Sponsors of Mass Save work closely with the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources to provide a wide range of services, incentives, trainings, and information promoting energy efficiency that help residents and businesses manage energy use and related costs.
All residents and businesses, regardless of income levels, are eligible for a range of energy efficiency services including free home energy assessments, weatherization improvement incentives, appliance rebates, and more. Read more information about MassSave here.
For more information on housing programs, contact Naomi Francisco at 978-745-9595, Ext. 5685 or email@example.com
To contact the Salem Housing Authority for information on subsidized housing, please click here.