The Transfer Station will close for the season Sunday December 11, 2016 at 4pm. It is currently anticipated that it will reopen in the Spring of 2017.
Salem residents with proof of ID may drop off their yard waste at the Salem Transfer Station on Swampscott Road on Saturdays and Sundays, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Yard waste should be dropped off in a paper yard waste bag or dumped loose at the designated area on the site. Yard waste in plastic bags will not be accepted and stumps and branches greater than 2” in diameter will also not be accepted.
Yard Waste Curbside pick up Guidelines:
- Yard waste includes leaves, grass clippings, woodchips or other easily raked materials. Sticks must be cut in four foot lengths and tied with string. No tree stumps will be accepted.
- Yard waste must be placed in paper yard waste bags (purchased at local hardware stores and supermarkets) or loose open barrels.
- No plastic bags or cardboard boxes of any type can be used for yard waste.
- There are a total of 5 pickups annually - the same day as your trash pickup. Please refer to current years Holiday and Yard waste Calendar for specific weeks.
- Place yard waste seperately from trash.
Residential trash and construction and demolition debris will NOT be accepted at the Transfer Station at this time. Residents who need to dispose of excess residential trash may purchase the City orange overflow bags for curbside collection. Overflow bags are available for $2.50 each at the Department of Public Services, the City Collectors Office, Crosby’s Marketplace, and Winer Brothers Hardware.