Any person who is a Salem resident, a United States citizen, and is eighteen years old, is eligible to register to vote in Salem. If you are not yet eighteen years old, but will be on or before the next election, you can register to vote.
Individuals wishing to register to vote may do so in the following ways.
- Register in Person - Come to City Hall, 93 Washington Street, to the Elections Office, Office #5, and fill out the registration form.
- Register by Mail - Pick-up a voter registration form at the Salem Public Library or Salem Post Office, fill it out, and drop it in the mail.
- Register to vote when you go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles make sure you receive your acknowledgement receipt.
- Register On-Line
- On-Line Voter Registration Application
- Link to Mail-In Voter Registration (English)
- Link to Mail-In Voter Registration (Spanish)
- Formulario de inscripcion de votante por correo oficial de Massachusetts
Voters need not register annually. If voters continue to answer the annual city census, and do not move to another city, they may continue to vote in Salem.
Once you move to another community, you must re-register in that community.
Prior to State and local elections, there is a deadline to register to vote for that election. (20 days prior).
If you are uncertain as to the date of election, or registration deadline contact the City Clerk's Office at (978) 745-9595 ext. 41211 or 41212.
If you have any questions regarding voter registration, or if you are not certain if you are still registered, contact the City Clerk's Office at (978) 745-9595 ext. 41211 or 41212.