CITY OF SALEM, MASSACHUSETTS, BOARD OF HEALTH
DECLARATION OF PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY ORDER REGARDING USE OF FACE COVERINGS IN THE DOWNTOWN B-5 DISTRICT AND ALL CITY OWNED PARKS
On Friday, March 20, 2020 the City of Salem Board of Health declared a Public Health Emergency in the City of Salem.
Pursuant to 310 CMR 11.05, 105 CMR 300.200 and all other authorizing statutes and regulations, acting by and through its agent authorized under MGL c. 111, §31 we, the Mayor and Board of Health of the City of Salem, Massachusetts, hereby order the following:
- All persons who are not exempt, as set forth below, shall wear a facial covering over their mouth and nose when in public between the hours of 8:00 AM and 1:00 AM within the boundaries of the City of Salem downtown B-5 District.
- All persons entering any City owned park or playground, including but not limited to, Salem Willows, Winter Island and Forest River Park, must wear a facial covering over their mouth and nose. A map to the Downtown B5 District and all City owned parks can be found at this link: https://www.salem.com/home/files/mask-required-areas.
- This Order shall apply to all places open to the public, whether indoors or outdoors. Use of medical grade masks is discouraged in order to avoid interfering with the supply of masks for medical workers and first responders. See this link for information on making a cloth face covering: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.html
- Exception: Children under the age of 2 years old are not required to wear face coverings. For children 2 years of age or older, a face covering should be used if possible and at the discretion of the child's parent or guardian. Parents who elect to fit their children with a face covering should be certain it does not obstruct or impede a child's ability to breathe.
- Exception: This Order shall not apply to persons for whom a face covering would cause impairment due to an existing health condition, or persons requiring a reasonable accommodation/modification as a result of a qualifying disability as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and/ or any applicable laws of the State, including those who cannot breathe safely; those who, due to a behavioral health diagnosis, are unable to do so; those communicating with people who rely upon lip-reading; and those who require supplemental oxygen to breathe.
- Exception: This order shall not apply when people are participating in the following activities, a) those sitting/laying on the beach, b) those swimming in the water, c) while people are eating and d) while sitting in private vehicles.
- All businesses shall not allow a patron to enter their establishment who is not wearing a face covering unless the patron qualifies for an exemption. All businesses shall post a sign on their main entrance doors advising consumers or patrons that it is mandatory that the consumer or patron entering the business or establishment wear a face covering. All business shall be responsible for requiring and overseeing that patrons waiting or queued to enter their place of business wear a face covering while waiting.
This emergency order shall be effective beginning SATURDAY, July 18, 2020 AT 12:01AM and remain in effect until notice is given, pursuant to the Board of Health’s judgement, that the Public Health Emergency no longer exists.
Violations of this Order may be punishable by monetary municipal fines and to the extent necessary, this Order shall be enforced by Board of Health officials, Salem Police Officers and Building Inspectors.
ORDERED at City Hall this 17th day of July 2020
For the Board of Health,
|Ash Street||Bridge Street||End|
|Barton Square||Essex Street||Washington Street|
|Bridge Street||North Street||St. Peter Street|
|Brown Street||St. Peter Street||Washington Square|
|Canal Street||Ropes Street||Washington Street|
|Central Street||Derby Street||End|
|Charter Street||Hawthorne Boulevard||Central Street|
|Church Street||Washington Street||St. Peter Street|
|Congress Street||Derby Street||Peabody Street|
|Crombie Street||Essex Street||Norman Street|
|Derby Street||Lafayette Street||Herbert Street|
|Dodge Street||Washington Street||Lafayette Street|
|Dodge Street Court||New Derby Street||End|
|East India Square Mall||Essex Street||End|
|Essex Street||Herbert Street||North Street|
|Federal Street||St. Peter Street||North Street|
|Front Street||Central Street||Washington Street|
|Gedney Street||Margin Street||Summer Street|
|Harbor Street||Lafayette Street||Washington Street|
|Hawthorne Boulevard||Derby Street||Essex Street|
|Lafayette Street||Dow Street||Central Street|
|Liberty Street||Derby Street||End|
|Lynde Street||Washington Street||North Street|
|Margin Street||Norman Street||Prescott Street|
|Mill Street||Margin Street||Washington Street|
|New Derby Street||Washington Street||Lafayette Street|
|New Liberty Street||Brown Street||Essex Street|
|Norman Street||Washington Street||Summer Street|
|Peabody Street||Lafayette Street||Congress Street|
|Pickering Way||Congress Street||Union Street|
|Pond Street||Washington Street||Canal Street|
|St. Peter Street||Bridge Street||Brown Street|
|Salem Green||Essex Street||End|
|Sewall Street||Lynde Street||Essex Street|
|Summer Street||Essex Street||Gedney Street|
|Washington Square West||Brown Street||Essex Street|
|Washington Street||Bridge Street||Mill Street|
B-5 Zone (In gray)