Notice of Meeting
You are hereby notified that the Salem Planning Board will be holding a Public Hearing on
Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 7:00 pm
via remote participation with instructions posted to www.salem.com
in accordance with Chapter 40A of the Massachusetts General Laws and Governor Baker’s Emergency Order dated March 12, 2020.
Ben J. Anderson, Chair
Pursuant to Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Order Suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, §20, and the Governor’s March 15, 2020 Order imposing strict limitation on the number of people that may gather in one place, this meeting of the City of Salem Planning Board will be conducted via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Specific information and the general guidelines for remote participation by members of the public and/or parties with a right and/or requirement to attend this meeting can be found on the city’s website, at salem.com. No in-person attendance of members of the public will be permitted, but every effort will be made to ensure that the public can adequately access the proceedings in real time, via technological means. In the event that we are unable to do so, despite best efforts, we will post on the city’s website an audio or video recording, transcript, or other comprehensive record of proceedings as soon as possible after the meeting.
For this meeting, members of the public who wish to watch, listen, or provide comment during the meeting may do so in the following manner:
Watching the Public Meeting:
- Go to the website link: LINK
- Go to the website link www.zoom.us/join and enter meeting ID # 844 7588 3755 followed by meeting password 091677, if directed to do so on screen.
- Dial toll-free phone number 877-853-5257. When prompted enter meeting ID # 879- 844 7588 3755 followed by meeting password 091677, if directed. Those dialing in only will not have access to the direct video feed of the meeting, but can follow along with the project materials available for download at this link or
- Watch the meeting live on Salem Access Television Channel 22.
Providing Public Comment During the Meeting:
Members of the public attending this meeting virtually will be allowed to make comments during the portion of the hearing designated for each agenda item. Members of the public will be asked to use the virtual “Raise Hand” function in Zoom to indicate that they would like to provide comment.
- Dial *9 on your phone’s dial pad to raise your hand if you are using the toll-free phone number.
- Click the “raise hand” button if you are using the Zoom application on your computer or phone.
For each agenda item, the moderator will identify attendees with raised hands by their screenname or the last 3 digits of their telephone number and will then unmute them. The moderator will then request that the attendee unmute their device to provide their full name, address, and comment for the record.
The moderator will go down the list of attendees in the order presented by the Zoom application. The attendee list is ordered so that phone numbers are first, followed by an alphabetical list of the screen names of attendees accessing Zoom through a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Anyone that speaks about an issue unrelated to the agenda items will be immediately muted.
Members of the public can alternatively email their comment before the start of the meeting to email@example.com.
Familiarizing Yourself with Zoom
We encourage members of the public to install and familiarize themselves with Zoom in advance of the meeting
If you plan on providing public comment and are logging into this meeting via the Zoom application, please test your speakers and microphone ahead of time. If we have trouble hearing you when you speak, we will move on to the next person and try to return to you later in the list. If this happens, we recommend that you call the toll-free number to access the meeting and provide your comment.
The zoom meeting will open 15 minutes before the start of the meeting to allow participants to connect and practice with the audio and raise hand functions.
Once again, thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this challenging situation for our community and the world.
- ROLL CALL
- REGULAR AGENDA
- Location: 0 Story Street (Map 23, Parcel 2)
Applicant: Stephen Lovely, Castle Hill Group, LLC
Description: A public hearing for all persons interested in the application of STEPHEN LOVELY, CASTLE HILL GROUP LLC for the property located at 0 Story Street (Map 23, Parcel 2) at the west end of Cleveland Street bounded by St. Anne’s Church, City of Salem, St. Anne’s Park and land of Bradbury and Chasse, for a Definitive Subdivision Plan. Specifically, the applicant proposes to allow construction of an extension to Cleveland Street which will create a tee turning area and the construction of 3 single family dwellings on the approximately 5.65 acre site.
- Location: 79 Columbus Avenue (Map 44, Lot 57)
Applicant: Eric Cormier
Description: *The applicant has requested a continuation to the regularly scheduled meeting on June 18, 2020. A continuation of a public hearing for all persons interested in the application of ERIC CORMIER for the property located at 79 Columbus Avenue (Map 44, Lot 57) for a Flood Hazard Overlay District Special Permit in accordance with the Salem Zoning Ordinance Section 8.1. Specifically, the applicant proposes to reconstruct a home and garage on 79 Columbus Avenue. Other improvements include a new driveway. No change to the existing foundation and footprint is proposed.
- Location: 602 Loring Avenue (Map 20, Lot 11)
Applicant: Vavel LLC
Description: A continuation of a public hearing for all persons interested in the application of VAVEL, LLC for the property located at 602 Loring Avenue (Map 20, Lot 11) for a Site Plan Review in accordance with Salem Zoning Ordinance Section 9.5. Specifically, the applicant proposes the demolition of the existing two-story commercial building on the site and the construction of a three-story building containing 20 residential units. The project includes 34 off street parking spaces, 22 of which will be garage level spaces within the building and 12 of which will be surface parking spaces. Also proposed are landscaping, a ground level patio, a sidewalk from the building entrance to the existing Loring Avenue sidewalk, bicycle racks, utilities, grading, and drainage systems for stormwater runoff. The existing curb cut will be reconfigured into a 24’ driveway.
- Location: 54 and 56 Swampscott Road (Map 07, Lots 65 and 64)
Applicant: Michael Buonfiglio
Description: A continuation of the public hearing for all persons interested in the application of MICHAEL BUONFIGLIO for the property located at 54 and 56 Swampscott Road (Map 07, Lots 65 and 64) for a special use permit per Section 3.1.3 and Section 9.4 of the Salem Zoning Ordinance to allow a change in use from an auto repair shop to a contractor’s yard and landscaping business in the Business Park Development District. Specifically, the applicant proposes to repair the shop for use as office and storage, with the addition of a second floor to the existing building.
- Location: 160 Federal Street (Map 26, Lot 0002-30)
Applicant: North Shore Community Development Coalition
Description: A continuation of the public hearing for all persons interested in the application of NORTH SHORE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COALITION for the property located at 160 Federal Street (Map 26, Lot 0002-30) for Site Plan Review, Municipal or Religious Reuse Special Permit, and Flood Hazard Overlay District Special Permit in accordance with Salem Zoning Ordinance Sections 9.5, 6.11, and 8.1. Specifically, the applicant proposes the conversion of the former St. James Parochial School into 33 units of housing, with associated community space for residents. The applicant additionally proposes approximately 42 parking spaces on site to serve the residential units.
- Location: 13 Hawthorne Boulevard (Map 35, Lot 0287-0)
Applicant: North Shore Community Development Coalition
Description: A continuation of the public hearing for all persons interested in the application of NORTH SHORE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COALITION for the property located at 13 Hawthorne Boulevard (Map 35, Lot 0287-0) for Site Plan Review and Municipal or Religious Reuse Special Permit in accordance with Salem Zoning Ordinance Sections 9.5 and 6.11. Specifically, the applicant proposes the conversion of the former Immaculate Conception parochial school into 29 units of housing and approximately 4,500 square feet of studio, workrooms, galleries, and meeting space. There are 7 parking spaces on the premises for visitors. The applicant proposes that the required 29 parking spaces for the residential units will be reserved in nearby municipal parking facilities.
- OLD/NEW BUSINESS
- Deliberate and vote on a recommendation to the City Council Zoning Ordinance Amendment relative to Inclusionary Zoning summarized below:
- An Ordinance amending the Salem Zoning Ordinance by adding a new Section 5.4 Inclusionary Housing and amending Section 10 Definitions by adding definitions related to the Inclusionary Housing ordinance. The purpose of the proposed new ordinance is to expand the City of Salem’s housing stock, especially its Affordable Housing Units; to leverage market-rate housing production towards the production of Affordable Housing Units; to provide for housing choices for households of all incomes, ages, and sizes; to increase the production of Affordable Housing Units to meet employment needs; and to establish standards and guidelines in order to implement the foregoing.
- Discussion and possible adoption of M.G.L. c.110G, regarding the use of electronic signatures by Planning Board members pursuant to Amendment 13-7 to the Massachusetts Deed Indexing Standards 2018, effective April 17, 2020
- Discussion and possible vote to authorize Tom Daniel, Director of Planning & Community Development, to endorse ANR and subdivision plans when approved to do so in each case by a majority vote of the Board, per G.L.c.41, §§81P (ANR plans) & 81X (subdivision plans)
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for January 23, 2020.
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for February 20, 2020.
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for March 5, 2020.
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for March 19, 2020.
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for April 2, 2020.
- Regular Planning Board meeting minutes for April 16, 2020.
Persons requiring auxiliary aids and services for effective communication such as sign language interpreter, an assistive listening device, or print material in digital format or a reasonable modification in programs, services, policies, or activities, may contact the City of Salem ADA Coordinator as soon as possible and no less than 2 business days before the meeting, program, or event.