View Contact Info
How to Reach Us
In June of 1987, Salem Mayor Tony Salvo and Superintendent of Schools Hank O'Donnell advanced a proposal to adopt Chapter 194 of the Acts of 1986, a measure that enabled cities and towns to set up a scholarship account for graduating seniors, funded through voluntary donations made by local residents on their tax bills. The City of Salem's Scholarship & Education Committee oversees both the Scholarship Fund, "to provide educational financial aid to deserving city residents," and the Education Fund, "to provide supplemental educational funding for local educational needs or to provide funding for existing adult literacy programs." The committee is comprised of residents appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, as well as a designee of the Superintendent. Its members monitor the funds' balances, engage in efforts to increase donations to the funds, and evaluate applications for awards from the funds. Since 2003 the committee has awarded nearly $80,000 in scholarships to Salem students graduating from Salem High School, Salem Academy Charter School, and other schools. Scholarship amounts vary from year to year, based on the number of applications.
- Applicant must be resident of Salem and a graduating high school senior.
- Applicant must have been accepted to an accredited institution.
- Applicant must submit the following with their application:
(1) Copy of Financial Aid Acknowledgement and Award letter and letters of reference from principals, teachers, school counselors, or any other community member.
(2) Copy of official High School transcript.
(3) Written statement, 500 words maximum (see application form for more details).
- Applications must be received no later than May 15th. Incomplete applications may be returned for more information or rejected. Mail to:
Scholarship and Education Committee
c/o Mayor's Office
Salem City Hall, 93 Washington Street
Salem, MA 01970
Scholarship and Education Committee - Education Fund Application (coming soon)
|Dominick Pangallo||(978) 619-5603|
|Tyler Carlton||Member (6/1/2022)|
|Elizabeth McGovern||Member (6/1/2022)|
|Cynthia Nina-Soto||Member (9/12/2022)|
|Jennifer McAlpine||Member (4/25/2022)|
|Tayla Rose||Member (3/28/2022)|
|Amy Stewart||Member (4/11/2022)|